What is VBA?
VBA stands for Visual basic with applications and allows you to create powerful software in microsoft applications such as Excel. If you have Excel, you already have VBA. In any excel workbook press ALT + F11 to access VBA where you can write your own code. The benefits of learning VBA is:
- Free with Microsoft applications.
- Anyone can develop without involving IT departments.
- Very popular programming language with lots of free support.
- Very powerful, you can do almost anything in VBA. Easy Ribbon Builder application was written in VBA. I’m an Electrical Engineer and learning VBA has given me a huge advantage over my peers.
- Quickest language to learn.
I think anyone who regularly uses Microsoft office applications should at least try writing simple code in VBA to see its potential value.
Note that if you save your workbook as .xlsx, it will delete all your code, so you must save it in a format that enables macros to be saved such as .xlsm. We have all somewhere made this mistake :)